Getting console.log errors with Selenium, PhantomJS in Python

So I had some functional tests passing on my workstation, but when pushed to CI environment they would fail with an “ElementNotVisibleException” exception, because scripts which created the element weren’t doing their job.

I wanted to view the browser console.log to get some clues to what went wrong on the front-end.

The selenium docs state to use:

driver.get_log('browser')

But in my case that returned an empty list, not very useful.

I’ve found if you use log type of “har”, not in the docs:

driver.get_log('har')

It will return a bunch information, including, if you look carefully, some “NOT FOUND” errors for for requests triggered by Javascript code.

[{
    'timestamp': 1436900661766,
    'message': '{"log":{"version":"1.2","creator":{"name":"PhantomJS","version":"2.0.0"},"pages":[{"startedDateTime":"2015-07-14T19:01:40.795Z","id":"http://myapp.domain.com:8081/people/1","title":"John Smith - MyAppName","pageTimings":{"onLoad":2900}}],"entries":[{"startedDateTime":"2015-07-14T19:03:22.559Z","time":148,"request":{"method":"GET","url":"http://myapp.domain.com:8081/people/1","httpVersion":"HTTP/1.1","cookies":[],"headers":[{"name":"Accept","value":"text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8"},{"name":"Cache-Control","value":"max-age=0"},{"name":"User-Agent","value":"Mozilla/5.0 (Unknown; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/538.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) PhantomJS/2.0.0 Safari/538.1"}],"queryString":[],"headersSize":-1,"bodySize":-1},"response":{"status":200,"statusText":"OK","httpVersion":"HTTP/1.1","cookies":[],"headers":[{"name":"Date","value":"Tue, 14 Jul 2015 19:03:22 GMT"},{"name":"Server","value":"WSGIServer/0.1 Python/2.7.6"},{"name":"Vary","value":"Cookie"},{"name":"X-Frame-Options","value":"SAMEORIGIN"},{"name":"Content-Type","value":"text/html; charset=utf-8"},{"name":"Set-Cookie","value":"csrftoken=wFzWPTm9aVkGLtPuOCcc1tIs6ve5KosW; expires=Tue, 12-Jul-2016 19:03:22 GMT; Max-Age=31449600; Path=/"}],"redirectURL":"","headersSize":-1,"bodySize":5776,"content":{"size":5776,"mimeType":"text/html; charset=utf-8"}},"cache":{},"timings":{"blocked":0,"dns":-1,"connect":-1,"send":0,"wait":140,"receive":8,"ssl":-1},"pageref":"http://myapp.domain.com:8081/people/1"},{"startedDateTime":"2015-07-14T19:03:22.705Z","time":7,"request":{"method":"GET","url":"http://myapp.domain.com:8081/static/js/lib/bower_components/requirejs/require.js","httpVersion":"HTTP/1.1","cookies":[],"headers":[{"name":"Accept","value":"*/*"},{"name":"Referer","value":"http://myapp.domain.com:8081/people/1"},{"name":"User-Agent","value":"Mozilla/5.0 (Unknown; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/538.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) PhantomJS/2.0.0 Safari/538.1"}],"queryString":[],"headersSize":-1,"bodySize":-1},"response":{"status":null,"statusText":"Error downloading http://myapp.domain.com:8081/static/js/lib/bower_components/requirejs/require.js - server replied: NOT FOUND","httpVersion":"HTTP/1.1","cookies":[],"headers":[{"name":"Date","value":"Tue, 14 Jul 2015 19:03:22 GMT"},{"name":"Server","value":"WSGIServer/0.1 Python/2.7.6"},{"name":"X-Frame-Options","value":"SAMEORIGIN"},{"name":"Content-Type","value":"text/html"}],"redirectURL":"","headersSize":-1,"bodySize":125,"content":{"size":125,"mimeType":"text/html"}},"cache":{},"timings":{"blocked":0,"dns":-1,"connect":-1,"send":0,"wait":6,"receive":1,"ssl":-1},"pageref":"http://myapp.domain.com:8081/people/1"},{"startedDateTime":"2015-07-14T19:03:22.706Z","time":15,"request":{"method":"GET","url":"http://myapp.domain.com:8081/static/js/lib/bower_components/jquery-ui/themes/ui-lightness/jquery.ui.theme.css","httpVersion":"HTTP/1.1","cookies":[],"headers":[{"name":"Accept","value":"text/css,*/*;q=0.1"},{"name":"Referer","value":"http://myapp.domain.com:8081/people/1"},{"name":"User-Agent","value":"Mozilla/5.0 (Unknown; Linux x86_64) AppleWebKit/538.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) PhantomJS/2.0.0 Safari/538.1"}],"queryString":[],"headersSize":-1,"bodySize":-1},"response":{"status":null,"statusText":"Error downloading http://myapp.domain.com:8081/static/js/lib/bower_components/jquery-ui/themes/ui-lightness/jquery.ui.theme.css - server replied: NOT FOUND","httpVersion":"HTTP/1.1","cookies":[],"headers":[{"name":"Date","value":"Tue, 14 Jul 2015 19:03:22 GMT"},{"name":"Server","value":"WSGIServer/0.1 Python/2.7.6"},{"name":"X-Frame-Options","value":"SAMEORIGIN"},{"name":"Content-Type","value":"text/html"}],"redirectURL":"","headersSize":-1,"bodySize":154,"content":{"size":154,"mimeType":"text/html"}},"cache":{},"timings":{"blocked":0,"dns":-1,"connect":-1,"send":0,"wait":15,"receive":0,"ssl":-1},"pageref":"http://myapp.domain.com:8081/people/1"}]}}',
    'level': 'INFO'
}]

So with that I found JS assets weren’t being compiled in my CI environment and was able to go ahead and fix it :)

Hopefully that’s useful to someone out there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

*